.
Welcome to the Riva – Alaria Connections. This blog is an attempt to preserve family history from my father's side and to share it with others who might be interested in following our ancestors over the past hundred plus years.

There are three ways to find your way around this blog. 1) Under 'Family History' (right hand column) you'll find links that are arranged in chronological order of when events happened in the family including documents, photos and other research found. 2)
The 'Blog Archives' is a list of blog entries organized in their posted order. 3) 'Labels' are links to blog entries that include some mention of the key words listed. My research has gone as far as I'll probably take it but if anyone reading this has something to add, I'd be delighted if you'd leave it in a comment. Or to just contact me just leave a comment at the end of any blog entry and I promise not to publish your e-mail address. ©
.

December 20, 2008

WWI Registration, Coal Country - 1918





On September 12th, 1918, three Riva's walked into the Putman County local draft board office in Granville, Illinois, to register. WWI was going on and the month before President Wilson had agreed to co-operate with the Allies by sending "volunteer" troops. Those Riva's were James/Giacomo Riva (age 45), John Riva (35) and another John Riva, (35). James, we know from crossing checking information on various documents, is OUR James. The other two Riva's we have no documented proof that they are related but we believe they are.

One of the John's lived in Granville and worked for the St. Paul Coal Co. James and the other John (John #1 below) both lived in near-by Standard, Illinois, and worked at the B.F. Berry Coal Co. James and John #1 are also recorded on the 1910 Census as both living in Greenfield Township, Grundy County,IL---both on Sixth Avenue right next door to each other.

James Riva's Registration, Click to enlarge

Birthday: March 25, 1873 – age 45
James is listed as have black hair and blue eyes
Josie Riva (his wife) is listed as his nearest relative
Living in Standard, IL


#1 John Riva's Registration, Click to enlarge

Birthday: June 11, 1884 – age 35
Wife: Minnie Riva
Living in Standard, IL


#2 John Riva's Registration, Click to enlarge

Birthday: August 1, 1883 – age 35
Living in Granville, IL
Nearest Relative: father Bertolomeo Riva in St Ponsio Canavese Italy, Torino Province

So far, I haven't been able to find a St Ponsio. It's possible the above registration document should read San Ponzio or that the village of St. Ponsio no longer exists. Either way it's an interesting mystery because San Ponzio is a village in the same province where James/Giacomo was born. (If anyone has any information on how these two John's might fit into the James Riva family tree please leave a comment.) J.E. Riva © 2008

EDIT TO ADD: Since writing this, I've been told that the "St. Ponsio" is probably San Ponso in the Piedmont region of Torino. (See comment below.)



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cioa! My family is originally from San Giorgio Canavese, and in fact I still have family there. I will be visiting San Giorgio tomorrow, and will inquire as to San Ponzio, and it's location. I have found that locals that know the area can recognize locations far more easily than those of us living in the states. There was a strong connection between the Calumet/Hancock/Houghton, Michigan area and San Giorgio Canavese, in that many Italians families emmigrated to work in the mines, and many returned back to San Giorgio.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Michael, That is really exciting, both your trip to Italy and knowing there is a common connection between Calumet/Hancock/Houghton, Michigan area and San Giorgio Canavese! I did not know that. Jean

Unknown said...

Hi Jean,

I checked with my Family member here in San Giorgio Canaves, and he said you were likely referring to San Pnso, in the Piedmont region of Torino. See: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ponso

Hope this helps, and my cousin has said you may contact him if you'd like to talk about Calumet or San Ponso. If you can send me a private e-mail, I can give you his e-mail address.

Ciao!

Anonymous said...

Hi My name is John Pattarozzi. I was searching for my great grandfather also named John Riva today and I came across your blog which I read with great interest. You have posted pictures of three John Riva's who registered for the draft in WW1, You mentiond that you were unsure of the other two but thought they were related. The second of the three registration cards is my Great Grandfathers. My Great Grandmothers name was Minnie, ( the card displays that) They had 4 children, Delores ( My Grandmother ) Dominick, Margaret and Minnie. I know that my Gandmother was born in Standard, Illinois. As far as the history of this John Riva goes I really dont know that much except he was killed in a mining accident in or around West Frankfort Illinois in the 1920's and is buried in West Frankfort. I dont know what the relationship is between them but your blog is very interesting